Monday 25 October 2010

I think I died a bit...

So, on Thursday (yes, it's taken me this long to get over it) I saw actual Colin Firth in the flesh. Ok, so I was forced to remain behind a steel barrier for the duration of our meeting, but I still like to think we had a connection.

To put this meeting into context, I was in London for the 54th BFI London Film Festival to see Mike Leigh's new film, Another Year. There was a bit of Q&A with said director, enlightening, and then (like all good film/Firth lovers) I hung around Leicester Square to await the arrival of the stars.

It was the première of Tom Hooper's The King's Speech, a movie telling the touching tale of how King George VI overcame a crippling speech impediment. With the likes of Helena Bonham-Carter and Geoffrey Rush sharing the screen with Mr Firth, it was fair to say there was a decent crowd lining the edges of the red carpet. It was an awesome and an odd experience. It just feels a bit peculiar to find out those of the big screen are actually normal-sized humans and that they do in fact mingle with normal folk from time to time.

Naturally, I will be reviewing Another Year in the coming week, but unfortunately, The King's Speech isn't out til January. My good friend Colin looks set to be nominated for an Oscar for it, though, so it's well worth scheduling into your cinematic diary.

Just a little note to self: must remember not to be so star-struck when am hot-headed journalist allowed to mingle with popular people. Something I still maintain will happen in the future.

No comments: